Transport of equipment and heavy machinery requires skill, experience, and knowledge. Not only do you have to take care of the loaded equipment, but you also need to take precautions and avoid accidents during transit. Heavy machinery is an indispensable part of every industry today, and adhering to safety standards will save you from any serious offence. Additionally, you need to take safety measures to limit other road users’ risks during the machinery movement.
Skills and expertise are necessities to operate equipment involved in the loading and unloading process. Equipment like Air Bearings, pulley systems, forklifts has a specific purpose during transit procedure. Therefore, observing machine moving’s best practices becomes critical for the safe transportation of heavy machinery and equipment.
You need to take some aspects and consider them as best practices for safe delivery. These practices include:
• Prioritize Safety Measures
Before commencing the transport of heavy machinery equipment, the first factor to consider is taking safety precautions. Use every means of protection at your disposal to ensure that workers, machinery, and on-road people stay safe. Workers involved in the loading/unloading process should have safety gear (goggles, helmets, gloves, and boots) at all times. Heavy machinery varies in size and hence has different safety needs for handling. Have the right protective equipment present that adheres to safety rules and regulations.
• Appoint The Right Person
Appoint the right personnel for the transportation job with the necessary skills and training to handle every phase. For instance, the use of loading equipment like air bearings requires expertise, and a person trained specifically for the purpose will likely provide better results. Similarly, appoint a team that has the expertise of handling every phase from start to finish. Careful planning before the job will guide the team regarding which equipment to use and the expertise required.
Have the appointed team inspect the surroundings to identify any potential hazards or obstruction that may affect the procedure. Once identified, take care of the issue first and then commence transportation. Everything and everyone involved in the transportation job is prone to accidents or any other hazard. A prior inspection of the area before the job will give an easy time to handlers to perform effectively. Handlers can also notify the owner about the current machinery condition through inspection and inform them of any issue present before loading. In short, a prior review will save much time and hassle for both owners and movers.
• Consider Loading Capacity
Always have an idea about the loading capacity of your equipment and vehicles. Equipment as air bearings and forklifts have specific weight capacity and overloading it will disrupt the whole process. Similarly, overloaded vehicles will increase the time taken for transportation and enhance the risk of potential failure. The best solution for such a problem is prior planning, giving you an approximate weight for loading. You can then proceed to appoint the team, equipment, and vehicle needed for the activity.
• Always Secure the Machinery
Always have the machinery for transit reinforced and secured using support equipment like belts, grills, steel rails, etc. Whenever you transport equipment and machinery, there is always a chance of a possible accident due to the negligence of safety standards. Always strap the loaded machinery with support equipment and commence movement when the security feels satisfactory. Machinery movement is a necessary aspect of the business, and to ensure timely delivery, provide secured support for the machinery. Additionally, have all the open machine parts that you feel have sensitivity against rain or sunlight covered. Vulnerability to elemental damage will make the whole effort useless.
• Consider Owner’s Manual
Professionals hired to Transport Equipment and heavy machinery have the necessary expertise for the job. However, consulting the owner’s manual before loading will give them added knowledge regarding handling specifications. You can find specific details regarding the preparation, securing, and movement of equipment. You can also find out about weight and dimensions to appoint respective expertise.
Safety Tips for Machine Haulers
Just like best practices, machine haulers and transporters need to consider some safety tips.
These tips include:
• Wearing safety gear at all times to secure themselves against potential hazards. Once the workers feel secured, they can focus on all the other phases of the transportation process.
• Always have updated training ready for handlers who work with specific equipment like air bearings. Every equipment needs a different type of expertise, so always have them trained and prepared to tackle any situation.
• Train the workers in exercising emergency procedures in case of any mishap during the process.
• Have the transport equipment and vehicles inspected and maintained regularly for maximum efficiency and performance.
• Have clear visibility for transporters during transit and use helpers if necessary.
• Travel at safe speeds and maintain distance between other moving objects, vehicles, and people.
• Verify the weight handling capacity of air bearings, forklifts, and vehicles.
• Consult owner manual for determining handling requirements.
• Balance the weight distribution.
• Inspect the surroundings and machinery for identification of issues.
• Maintain low friction between the machine parts or use the material to lower friction.
• Let the person expert in operating machinery handle the activity. Avoid operating equipment if you have no training.
• Always confirm support attachments to reinforce the machinery loaded.
• Use covers and edge protection to prevent any environmental damage to transported machinery.
• Use extra tie downs to support loaded machinery.
• Remove all the equipment, cranes, hydraulics, air bearing, etc., after loading the machine.
• Confirm the actual height and weight of the machinery.
• Have all the route permits ready and follow all the necessary state regulations for heavy machinery movement.
Transportation of equipment and heavy machinery is a difficult task that only professionals should handle. However, professionals also need a checklist with which to determine whether they remain on the right course. The safety tips and brief checklist will give you an idea about carrying out the transportation job efficiently. Remember to adhere to all the necessary rules and regulations to prevent any mishap during transit and ensure a safe delivery or the owner.